To apply for any visas or seek any advice about residency or citizenship: Always check with the Department of Immigration & Citizenship (DIAC) first either on their website or Telephone: 131 880 to inquire about citizenship which is free, or you may wish to consult with a Migration Agent which may incur a fee.

Please note: Information collated and shared has come from our own research of government website sources or other related links in an attempt to help New Zealand families and individuals understand and follow the necessary processes needed to meet any possible residency requirements.

Iwi n Aus are made up of volunteers who are committed to helping our people but we are not trained specialists, nor are we able to provide any legal migration advice. We can however do our best to help point you in the right direction. We endeavour to continually improve the quality of information provided to ensure all processes are made clear and as stress free as possible. We also encourage any feedback that may help us to improve the way in which we provide help and support.

Our contact details: Ph 0404 417 994 (Erina Anderson)


1.  According to the website you must complete form 80

2.  You must also complete the 118 form. Help with completing the form 118:

Generally speaking if you have a parent that was born in Australia you may be able to apply for citizenship via descent. However, New Zealanders born in Australia between August 20, 1996 and August 1994 were not considered automatic citizens of Australia. Nor are New Zealand children who are born in Australia after the 2001 law changes until they turn the age of 10yrs old and must have spent most of their first 10yrs in Australia. 

It's not possible to apply for citizenship via descent online. Forms to complete are Form 80 and 118.

Cost: As at 26th March, 2014: 

Form 118
Application for Australian citizenship by descent $120
For first sibling applying at the same time $120
For second and each subsequent sibling applying 
at the same time $95

You must complete form 80

You must also complete the 118 form. Help with completing the form 118: