If you intend to make a claim notify Centrelink, let them know and lodge your application within 14 days. This way you will be backdated from the time you contacted Centrelink.

Information from http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/intent-to-claim

Intent to claim

An intent to claim lets us know you are seeking a payment or concession card from us before you submit your claim form. It can take some time to process the quantity of claim forms we receive. By submitting your claim within 14 days of registering your intent to claim, we can backdate your payments to this date.

on this page

Before you start

Make sure you have checked that you are eligible for the payment before you start your claim.

Start your claim online

For the following payments, starting a claim online is considered an intent to claim:

  • Age Pension
  • Commonwealth Seniors Health Card
  • Low Income Health Care Card
  • Pension Bonus Scheme
  • Youth Allowance
  • Austudy

If you already have a Centrelink online account

You can log on to your Centrelink online account using your Customer Access Number (CAN) and password.

myGovLog on

If you do not have a Centrelink online account

If you have a Customer Reference Number (CRN) then you can complete your registration now.

If you do not have a CRN you will receive a Customer Access Number (CAN) to get your started.