To apply for any visas or seek any advice about residency or citizenship: Always check with the Department of Immigration & Citizenship (DIAC) first either on their website or Telephone: 131 880 to inquire about citizenship which is free, or you may wish to consult with a Migration Agent which may incur a fee.

Please note: Information collated and shared has come from our own research of government website sources or other related links in an attempt to help New Zealand families and individuals understand and follow the necessary processes needed to meet any possible residency requirements.

Iwi n Aus are made up of volunteers who are committed to helping our people but we are not trained specialists, nor are we able to provide any legal migration advice. We can however do our best to help point you in the right direction. We endeavour to continually improve the quality of information provided to ensure all processes are made clear and as stress free as possible. We also encourage any feedback that may help us to improve the way in which we provide help and support.

Our contact details: Ph 0404 417 994 (Erina Anderson)

Eligibility requirements

Married spouses (de jure) 
To apply in Australia for a Partner visa on the basis of marriage, you must be legally married to your 
partner (in most cases, your sponsor). To apply outside Australia on the basis of marriage, you must either 
be legally married to your partner at time of application or intend to legally marry your partner in the near 
future (before a decision is made on the temporary Partner visa).
If you were married in a country other than Australia and that marriage is valid in that country, generally it 
will be recognised as valid under Australian law. There are some exceptions, such as same-sex, underage 
or polygamous marriages, which are not accepted in Australia. More information on marriages recognised 
in Australia is available from the Attorney-General’s Department website
To be eligible for a Partner visa on the basis of your marriage, you must:
•     be sponsored by an eligible person (see ‘Sponsorship eligibility’ on page 14)
•     be    legally    married    to    your    partner    (usually    your    sponsor);    
•     show that you and your partner have a mutual commitment to a shared life as husband and wife to 
the    exclusion    of    all    others;Partner Migration 35
•     show    that you have a genuine and continuing relationship with your partner (see page 39);
•     show    that    you    and    your    partner    are    living    together    or,    if    not,    that    any    separation    is    only    temporary;    
•     meet health and character requirements (see pages 19–21).

Partner Migration Booklet

For all the information about sponsoring your spouse please check through the Partner Migration Booklet.