Voting requirements for NZ citizens living OUTSIDE NZ: You are able to vote if you have been to NZ within a 3yr period leading up to any election.

How long can I be out of New Zealand before my enrolment lapses?

If you are a New Zealand citizen you can't be out of the country for three years continuously before you are no longer eligible to vote. If you are a permanent resident, the period is only one year. If you come back to New Zealand during this time your three years (or one year if you are a permanent resident) starts again.

I have been out of the country for over three years and this is the first time I have been back. Am I eligible to enrol and if so, which electorate do I enrol for?

Yes, you are eligible to enrol. You must enrol for the address at which you last lived in New Zealand for one month or more.

Steps to enrolling online for people who are outside New Zealand:

1.  Complete the two enrolment forms online:

Hard copy PDF:

Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 11.12.48 pm.png
Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 11.12.59 pm.png

2.  Download, print off and sign pages 2 & 3:

3.  Scan/take a pic of the 2 main forms, upload and send:

Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 10.24.45 pm.png

Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 9.33.09 pm.png

Print off application form, sign, scan and return:

Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 9.46.03 pm.png
Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 10.24.28 pm.png